The evidence is overwhelming. Music in schools helps the development of students’ self- discipline, confidence, self-esteem, team skills and even helps them make positive life choices. Plus there are established links between learning music and academic achievement, including the development of children’s literacy and numeracy skills. Music education uniquely contributes to the emotional, physical, social and cognitive growth of all students.
The Music Department at NWS P-12 College run their own website which is updated regularly and includes information regarding:
- Latest events
- Instrumental music
- Performances / recordings
- FUSION music.
The Music Department at Narre Warren South P-12 College offers students the opportunity to take individual and small group lessons, for a minimal fee of $100 per Semester, on the following instruments during school time:
Voice, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Piano, Percussion (Drum Kit), Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Trumpet and Trombone.
Due to limited space in the instrumental program, instrumental Music lessons are only available for Secondary students.
An essential part of learning an instrument is the involvement in an ensemble and participating in ensembles is compulsory. We are extremely lucky to have a large number of performing ensembles including:
- Advanced Concert Band
- Training Concert Band
- Woodwind Ensembles
- Vocal Groups
- Guitar and Drum Ensembles
- Rock / pop bands
- Reggae Groups
Live performance is an important component to learning an instrument and we are lucky to have a full performance calendar with many opportunities for live performance including: lunch time gigs, café gigs, Live @ the Forum open mics, Year level Assemblies, Celebrations, VCAL / Semester / instrumental / End of Year /FUSION concerts, Community events and festivals. Our 2016 success include:
- Junior Band “Young n Gifted” coming 2nd place in the state finals of the SMR Battle of the Bands competition.
- Instrumental music students performing for James Merlino MP minister of education.
- Vocal group performing for Judith Graly MP at the Embrace Community Forum.
- Advanced Concert Band performing with the Navy Band
- Advanced Concert Band and Juinior Choir participating in “Count Us In” event
- Bands Performing at the SELLEN Careers Expo.
If you would like to participate in instrumental Music, please download and complete the application form, or contact the performing Arts Leader Rob Oakley on 97043333.
At Narre Warren South P-12 College we offer Music Performance. Our College is regarded as one of the best Music school providers in the area. In 2016 our students had many successes including:
- Booked through Multi-Cultural Arts Victoria to play live at the Emerge Festival in Dandenong.
- Played Live and interviewed on ABC radio
- Recorded and released EP’s on iTunes, Spotify, etc
- Performed live at over 150 gigs at school and the local community
- Won Best Original Song at SMR Battle of the bands Competition.
If you would like to apply for Music at the College please contact Mr Rob Oakley on 97043333.